Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Catching Up!

I will continue doing some catching up with this blog. A lot has happened in the past few months and I just can't help commenting on a few. Ok, moving away from the personal front this time, some events of national significance, and if not significant to you in true sense of the word, issues/events which I thought and talked about.

Where do I begin, let me start with the issue of quota in government aided professional colleges. It made big news and interests me personally, since I come from one of these institutes. So, with the allotment of quota seats to the OBCs, just about 50% of all seats are now reserved. Well, these numbers doesn't look that bad considering that about the same number of our population falls in different reserved categories. So, where's the issue?
  • From what facts and figures show, even the current quota remains unfulfilled;
  • A large number of these students are not able to cope up with the competition inside and drop out which I must say is not their fault, it's just the way it is;
  • Not much is being done at the primary school level which lays the foundation;
  • Will cost the treasury millions;
  • Talking about IITs at least, they are short staffed even now and the current infrastructure is maybe, if at all, just enough to support current numbers
Is this the real issue though? Does the esteemed Mr. Arjun Singh really care about the issues above? Caste politics have been going on since decades in India and this is just another extension. All they care about is how to get themselves in the news, create a nation stir and win cheap votes. So no wonder, all those protests and demonstrations fell on deaf ears. Well, few months, people will forget and life will be back as usual like nothing happened. We truly are great, myself included.

So, politicians come and go, but the system doesn't change, it's like one passing the baton of corruption to the other. Brings me to a couple of movies this year, Rang De Basanti and Lage Raho Munnabhai. Both were quite different in the approach but touched upon a common theme, corruption, the system, politics, things we loathe but love to talk about. Both made good money and did give us something to think about.

I read all these news about Gandhigiri being employed by some institute or group of people, makes me wonder how long this will continue. Has the movie really woken up the sleeping Gandhi within us (I am sure there is one!!) or are we just riding the Gandhian tide to get into news, impress friends and neighbors or as they say, making hay while the sun is shining? I don't know. But I would really love to see people getting their own act together, behave like they expect others to behave and we won't need a Gandhi and I can leave home in the morning and get to office without the frustrating 30 mins of agonizing drive on Bangalore roads and frankly, that's all I care about right now.

What else, the rise and fall of Sania Mirza? She is the best woman player we ever had and deserves all the applauds and recognition coming her way. But has she side tracked a bit? Again, I don't know. There are so many news channels being aired these days, each looking for something sensational to sell to gain visibility and what do they do when they can't find something? Simple, create one!! Fill the airtime with news about what a prodigy Sania is when she wins and the moment she loses, get the so called experts to dissect her game, and pass the verdict. So, I really don't know. Maybe there is some truth, she's barely played for an year, but requesting the chief minister for land to start a tennis academy, I really think she needs proper guidance from people who really care about her.

And talking about all the news channels, just switch to one of them and watch the bottom half of your idiot box for the stupidest of breaking news you could ever think of. Sometimes when I really get bored, I just read one of these "Breaking News", really helps. Try that out sometime yourself.

Just read what I wrote and got a feeling I have started complaining a lot. Well, sometimes when you write and read what you write, it reflects on the kind of person you have become or are becoming. So, I rather stop at this point. Maybe, next time, I will try not to complain too much, if only, the Gandhi in people wakes up. So long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home